How to Choose the Right Type of Engine Coolant
Let’s face it, the topic of engine coolant might not sound as thrilling as, say, a turbocharger or a sleek new car design. But the question “How to choose Engine Coolant” is still an important one. Let’s read on
Engine Coolant plays a pivotal role in ensuring our cars run smoothly, efficiently, and without a fiery meltdown.
Whether you’re a first-time car owner or just looking to grasp the basics of car maintenance, understanding engine coolant is crucial.
In this post, we’re diving into the watery depths of coolants, their importance, the different types available, and most importantly, how to choose engine coolant?
So, let’s gear up, shall we?
What is engine coolant?
Engine coolant, a name you might have heard thrown around at the local garage or seen listed in your car manual, is commonly referred to as antifreeze. But what is it exactly?
Engine coolant is a liquid solution tasked with the role of regulating an engine’s temperature.
Picture this: you’re driving through the scorching desert or the freezing Alps. It’s the engine coolant that ensures your engine doesn’t decide to have a meltdown or freeze-up in these extremes. This magical potion absorbs the heat from the engine and releases it through the radiator.
Why choosing the right Engine Coolant is important?
Understanding the ‘why’ behind engine coolant isn’t just for auto geeks or mechanics. It’s essential knowledge for anyone with a set of car keys. Here are some reasons:
- Prevents Overheating: Think of the engine as the heart of your car. Just as our heart would struggle under extreme conditions without some help, engines need coolants to prevent them from overheating. Did you know that overheating is a leading cause of roadside breakdowns? Without coolant, you might just find yourself stranded on a lonely road.
- Protection against Freezing: You might wonder, “Why would my engine freeze? I’m not in the North Pole!” But guess what, even in relatively milder climates, engines can freeze. A situation easily avoidable with the right coolant.
- Reduces Engine Wear: Lesson learned from years of driving – maintenance costs can add up! One way to reduce these costs? Use the right coolant. It doesn’t just regulate temperature but also prevents rust and corrosion, ensuring your engine parts last longer.
Different types of coolant
Not all coolants are made equal. Depending on your car and its requirements, you’ll need to pick one of these:
- Inorganic Additive Technology (IAT): Picture the traditional green coolant that graced the engines of older vehicles. It contains protective elements like silicates and phosphates.
- Organic Acid Technology (OAT): This one’s a bit modern, often coming in shades of orange or pink. It’s formulated with organic acids. However, a mistake many make is assuming it’s suitable for all cars. It might not play well with some older engines.
- Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT): The best of both worlds! Combining IAT and OAT, it offers comprehensive protection. Look out for it in hues of yellow or turquoise.
How to choose engine coolant, that's suitable for your car
Here’s how to choose the right one:
Tip #1: Consult your vehicle’s manual: Before any experiments, open that car manual. It’s the holy grail for your car’s needs.
Tip #2: Consider the climate: The climate in Dubai often varies to high temperature in summer. Your choice of coolant should be based on that.
Tip #3: Avoid mixing coolants: Mistake alert! Combining coolants might seem like a fun science experiment, but it’s a recipe for disaster. Stick to one type.
Example: Here’s something to ponder on: If your beloved car hails from the retro era of the 1980s, it might cozy up better with IAT. Mixing it up with an OAT might just lead to some unwanted reactions.
The next time you’re sipping on a cold drink on a hot day or enjoying a hot cup of cocoa in the cold, remember that just like you, your car too, with the help of coolants, is trying to stay at the perfect temperature.
Drive safe and keep it cool!
Where can you buy Best Auto Spare Parts in Dubai?
Auto Spare Parts are available at different suppliers and dealers of auto spare parts in Dubai. Noorhan is amongst the leading brands that deal with genuine auto spare parts and aftermarket parts for different car brands, including BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Jeep, Ford, and other Japanese, European, American, Korean, luxury cars brand.