Gear Filter: Working, Replacement & Maintenance Tips
What is a Gear Filter?
A gear filter, commonly called a transmission filter, is a crucial part of a car’s automatic transmission system. Its main job is maintaining clean, pollutant transmission fluid, which safeguards the transmission and ensures the vehicle runs smoothly.
The gear filter functions by filtering the transmission fluid as it flows through the transmission. The filter catches any dirt, debris, or metal particles in the liquid, preventing them from moving through the transmission and harming it.
The transmission might overheat if the filter becomes clogged with debris over time, hindering fluid flow. To avoid this, it is important to have the gear filter changed at regular intervals as the manufacturer recommends.
How does Gear Filter work?
Below are the steps in how a gear filter operates:
- Fluid enters the filter through an intake and flows into a cylindrical chamber with a rotating gear or impeller.
- A centrifugal force produced by the rotating gear causes the fluid to migrate toward the chamber’s edges.
- Due to their greater mass, the heavier solid particles in the fluid are also pushed toward the chamber’s boundaries. In contrast, the lighter fluid travels opposite directions into the center.
- The solid particles build up on the chamber’s exterior walls, blocking their re-entry into the fluid stream.
- Moving towards the chamber’s center, the clean fluid leaves the filter through an outlet.
- Opening a drain valve or physically cleaning the filter can eliminate the separated solid particles.
When should you replace the Gear Filter?
Under the following situations, you may think about replacing your car’s gear filter:
1. The suggested mileage or period for replacing the gear filter has passed.
As previously indicated, most automobile manufacturers advise changing the gear filter every two to three years or every 30,000 to 60,000 miles (48,000 to 96,000 kilometers). For precise instructions, always consult your vehicle’s owner’s manual.
2. Transmission trouble:
It’s a good idea to have your gearbox checked by a qualified mechanic if you detect any indicators of transmission trouble, such as difficulty shifting ratios, slipping gears, or weird noises. Sometimes, changing the gear filter can solve these problems.
3. Gear oil contamination:
It’s a good idea to replace the gear filter with the oil if you discover that the gear oil in your car is polluted with metal shavings, dirt, or debris. Dirty gear oil can harm the transmission and other parts if left uncontrolled.
4. Regular maintenance:
It’s a good idea to replace the gear filter as part of your regular maintenance program if you adhere to one. Your automobile will run more smoothly if you maintain it often, and you’ll avoid future issues.
How to maintain the Gear Filter?
Maintaining the gear filter is crucial to keep your car running smoothly. The following steps should be taken:
- Before starting any repair, consult the owner’s manual to find out how frequently the gear filter in your car should be changed.
- The transmission pan must be removed to access the gear filter, which is normally inside the transmission.
- Be sure to drain the transmission fluid by removing the drain plug at the bottom of the transmission before removing the transmission pan.
- After the transmission fluid has been drained, remove the bolts holding the transmission pan in place and carefully remove the pan.
- The gear filter is usually found inside the transmission and is easily removed by pulling it out. Make sure the new filter fits properly before replacing the old one.
- To ensure a proper seal, replace the gasket while the transmission pan is off.
- After replacing the filter and gasket, carefully replace the transmission pan and tighten the bolts to the required torque levels.
- After replacing the pan, add the right kind and amount of fluid to the transmission.
- Last but not least, drive the car to ensure the transmission is in good working order and there are no leaks.
Where can you buy Gear Filter in Dubai?
Axle System are available at different suppliers and dealers of auto spare parts in Dubai. Noorhan is amongst the leading brands that deal with genuine auto spare parts and aftermarket parts for different car brands, including BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Jeep, Ford, and other Japanese, European, American, Korean, luxury cars brand.
If you’re looking to replace your Axle System with high-quality aftermarket Axle System in Dubai, Noorhan can help you.